Re: [dev] wmii latest snapshot on FreeBSD

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:24:13 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:43:49PM +0000, Michal wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I need some help with getting latest snapshot to run on FreeBSD
> (9base-b20060209, dmenu-4.0, libixp-0.5).
>
> Latest wmii release (3.6) works like a charm on the same machine but
> when I install wmii+ixp-20090703 something is not right, i.e. there is
> nothing on a status bar (just "1" indicating current view) and key
> bindings doesn't seem to work, I cannot open xterm and so on.
> ~/.xsession-errors says:
> 9: No such file or directory
> namespace: No such file or directory
> rc (/usr/local/9/bin/rc): null list in concatenation
> Action: not found
>
> There is no wmii-devel port at the moment so I used a Makefile that I
> found in archives of this list, maybe that's the problem? Please see
> Makefile attached.
>
> Any suggestions are very welcome, thank you in advance.

That makefile is definately somewhat dated. The PLIST is more
than a bit sparse. Anyway, you don't need dmenu anymore. As for
the errors, noone really uses 9base anymore, so wmii isn't well
tested with it. As it turns out, wmii lately makes use of the
'9' script and the 'namespace' utility, which 9base doesn't
provide. That's easily remedied, though. In the mean time, you
can either install plan9port (sudo pkg_add -r plan9port), or use
another rc script (wmiirc, or alternative_wmiircs/python).

--
Kris Maglione
Technology is dominated by two types of people: Those who understand