Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:26:26 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Donald Allen<donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Donald Allen<donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> editing ctrl-alt out from the default config is more work than just
>>> changing the mod key definition

>>> the ctrl-alt is better in that sense but still not very usable
>>>
>>> anyway, i could agree with the change if it's just
>>> #define MODKEY Mod1Mask|ControlMask
>>
>> I believe this would have the effect of changing alt-<anything> to
>> ctrl-alt-<anything> and also alt-shift-<anything> to
>> ctrl-alt-shift-<anything>, yes?
>>
>> If so, that makes sense to me. It preserves the current consistency,
>> which my fix does not, so in that way it is less confusing, at the
>> expense of making the oft-used alt-<number> gestures somewhat more
>> awkward to type. But it accomplishes the primary goal of getting the
>> defaults out of the way of the application UI gestures. And, has been
>> discussed to death here, many with Windows keys will alter their
>> configurations to use them.
>>

>>> what would you use for toggleview and toggletag?
>>
>> I'd just keep them consistent with the change you described above, so
>> they'd just have ctrl added to what they are currently.
>
> I just checked out the original config.h and I see the problem now --
> they *already* use ctrl. Let me think about it ...

As an experiment, testing an alternative to the change I'd already
made, I am using xmodmap to map alt_r to mod3, and have changed the
MODKEY definition in config.h to

#define MODKEY Mod3Mask

So now every use of alt in dwm expects the right alt key instead of
the left, freeing up the left for use with applications. While this
sort-of works, it's not satisfactory. The problem is with the
alt-shift commands. You cannot press alt_r and shift simultaneously,
and certainly not shift, then alt_r. You have to press alt_r first,
then shift. I think this is a problem with the x server. At least, I
found some discussion about problems of this kind, one identical to
this (discussed in 2004!) and there was talk of a fix. Perhaps they
broke it again. But unless I'm doing something wrong, use of alt_r
appears not to be viable, at least not at the moment.

/Don