[dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Ray Kohler <ataraxia937_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:13:31 -0400

I'm rather curious on where st will go, and what kinds of things other
terminals do that it will or won't do.

In particular:
- Is a scrollback buffer objectionable in principle, such that we
should expect to "just use GNU screen"?
- Will it implement enough of xterm's capabilities that I could lie
about $TERM and expect it to mostly work? I log into many remote
machines of various OS types and ages, and some of them don't make it
easy to install user-specific terminfo entries.