Re: [dev] wmii: fullscreen window, new window becomes floating?

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:09:10 +0200

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:16:27 -0400
Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 04:40:13PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >Hi,
> >in wmii, let's say I go to a new tag, open a window, make sure it's
> >not floating but rather the default layout. then i fullscreen this
> >window. then i launch a new window (using dmenu or whatever)
> >
> >result: new window opens, but:
> >1) it's floating
> >2) it has focus
> >
> >If I then unfloat this window, 2 things happen:
> >1) it goes to the fullscreet layout (hooray)
> >2) it doesn't get focus (it's "behind" the first window)
> >
> >Why is manual intervention needed? Can't it just spawn fullscreen in
> >the background?
>
> I'm really confused by this message. I'm not quite sure what
> you're describing or what the problem is.
>
> Fullscreen mode works more or less like this:
>
> 1. Fullscreen windows are in the floating layer.
> 2. Other floating layer windows may be in front of or behind
> any other floating layer windows, including fullscreen
> ones.
> 3. When a floating window is focused, new windows open in the
> floating layer.
> 4. New windows (almost) always receive focus when they open.
> 5. New floating windows always open at the top of the stack.

Thanks Kris,
but:
if my current layout is fullscreen, why doesn't the new window become
fullscreen as well? (instead it takes up about 1/4th of my screen)

what do i have to do to spawn new windows but have them not focused?
("almost" in your point 4) or keep the current window the top of the
stack, always? even when spawning new windows?

Dieter