Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:01:43 -0500

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> People shouldn't be berated for simply discussing a feature.

People who support dumb things run the risk of mockery. I'd rather
get burned for suggesting something stupid than have this list turn
into a politically-correct hugbox support forum for the criminally
inept. If you don't like it, go hang out on another mailing list.

I'll mention here that I've altered some of my own opinions after
reading arguments on this list. The vehemence with which a person
defends a specific concept shows me how seriously they take that
concept. Similarly, the amount of whining done by someone re
ad-hominem attacks shows me that their priorities lie more toward
"internet community building" than "discussing things," so I know they
don't have a whole lot to say, on average. To wit:

> A feature I wouldn't mind seeing in st would be the ability to spawn
> st as a direct endpoint to a pipe (not sure if that's already
> possible?). This would allow st to be used as a quick popup to display
> information, or as part of a multi-terminal application like an irc
> client, without needing to spawn an extra shell or consume an extra
> pty.

You want your terminal emulator to replace xmessage? Really?

--
# Kurt H Maier