Re: [dev] content vs navigation in the web

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 14:29:45 +0100

* markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de> [2009-11-06 18:59]:
> [2009-11-06 14:57] stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de
> >
> > Both list navigation part before content [...]
>
> > or think about embedded devices (zoom in with your css enabled browser
> > until you get the right 1/3 of the screen filled with the navigation bar,
> > the left 2/3 empty, and you need to scroll 4 pages down to read what euler
> > is about).
>
> Otherwise you need to scroll four pages down to navigate.

No!

vim-like G, or <shift-PgDn>, or <ctrl-PgDn>, or simply <End> depending on
customisation should be enough to scroll down to 100%.

Works for me at least.

> > My problem with that is that I don't see why navigation should be
> > considered more important than content.
>
> It's not about importance, but about usability.
>
> You usually navigate a lot.

Not me. Or at least not usually. Of course there are several such pages and
use-cases but not the majority.

> Especially, through several pages till you
> found the right one. Thus you hop from page to page with short times
> on the pages. With the navigation at the bottom, each of these stays
> becomes longer, because you need to go down first.
>
> Otherwise, you only need to scroll down to start reading.

... every time you access the page.

Yes, it is sort of trade off.

> Of course, this my assumptions are only valid if the title and the
> first lines of text are in view without scrolling. Means no huge
> navigation lists.

That's the point -- they *are* usually long.

> > IMO, navigation should take as less real estate as possible [...]
>
> Seems you usually navigate with your search engine.

Well, this might be true ... A well specified search term can save much
clicks/keystrokes. Then you depend to certain extend on the search engine
and this might suck.

--
 stanio_