Re: [dev] wmii can save settings on close, can't it ?

From: <djp_AT_linuxcaffe.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:47:54 -0500

Quoting Yannic Haupenthal <mail_AT_thedarkwebsite.de>:
> I have the same problem, so i wrote in my wmiirc (in the Tagging Rules
> section):
>
> /Firefox.*/ -> 3
> /Thunderbird.*/ -> 2
> /Pidgin.*/ -> 4
> /alsamixer.*/ -> 0
> /weechat.*/ -> 4
so this pre-defines where various apps will start ?
(yes, I'll read tthe documentation)

> And yes, i know that Firefox and Thunderbird sucks ;)
and we both still use them !

> At system start i run a little script:
>
> thunderbird & &>/dev/null
> firefox & &>/dev/null
> pidgin & &>/dev/null
> urxvt -T "weechat" -e sh -c "weechat-curses"& &>/dev/null
> urxvt -T "alsamixer" -e sh -c "alsamixer"& &>/dev/null
>
> So there is every program on a predefined window.
>
> Is this is a solution for you?
In the right direction.

So if I may re-iterate,
pre-define where apps will open, using the tagging scripts,
and then open each one from another script, and voila ?
I /will/ need to lern more about dem tags.

here's a riddle or two;
How do I include the column, and the order within the column, of each item ?
Is there any way to also direct the window-mode (stack, default,
maximum) for each column ?

I know this is asking a lot, but this functionality is make-or-break for me,
and I'll bet important for may other potential-users who sometimes
turn their computers off.

thanks again,
djp