Re: [dev] wmii can save settings on close, can't it ?

From: <djp_AT_linuxcaffe.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:19:51 -0500

Quoting Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>:

> No, that's not possible (except perhaps to launch them in the right
> order and hope they open in that order again).

well hang on a minute there.
wmii, as I understand it, builds a whole virtual file tree to manage
every aspect of the session...

couldn't that virtual file tree just be saved and then reloaded ?

>> I know this is asking a lot, but this functionality is make-or-break for me,
>> and I'll bet important for may other potential-users who sometimes
>> turn their computers off.
>
> Yes, indeed it's asking a lot. Can I ask what other window manager
> provides anything approaching that functionality?

..uhh yes, I think so.. can't gnome and kede "save sessions" ?
yes, I think they can!

> It also seems a bit superfluous. The whole point of dynamic window
> managers is to make static layouts unimportant. I've never missed
> those kinds of features.
Well you and I have different use-cases then.
I'm trying to build a "control centre" for my business, using wmii
tabs and windows arranged with various applications and associated
files. These views can consist of a dozen elements per "tag" and the
consistancy of layout is important. I'm using primarily cli and
ncurses apps on the super-light-weight distro, Slitaz, and plan to
have the whole thing on a bootable USB stick, so rebooting is a given.
This is not an average desk-top, by a long stretch.
Just because you don't care for it, doesn't mean my application is
superfluous.
djp