Re: [dev] wmii can save settings on close, can't it ?

From: Jonas Domeij <jonas.domeij_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:04:27 +0100

2009/11/14 <djp_AT_linuxcaffe.ca>:
>> It also seems a bit superfluous. The whole point of dynamic window
>> managers is to make static layouts unimportant. I've never missed those
>> kinds of features.
>
> Well you and I have different use-cases then.
> I'm trying to build a "control centre" for my business, using wmii tabs and
> windows arranged with various applications and associated files. These views
> can consist of a dozen elements per "tag"  and the consistancy of layout is
> important. I'm using primarily cli and ncurses apps on the
> super-light-weight distro, Slitaz, and plan to have the whole thing on a
> bootable USB stick, so rebooting is a given.
> This is not an average desk-top, by a long stretch.
> Just because you don't care for it, doesn't mean my application is
> superfluous.
> djp

Thing is, wmii is kind of supposed to be inconsistent in that way,
instead allowing you to quickly change layout & position for different
usage patterns. Perhaps you should be looking for a static tiling wm
instead, if I understand you correctly. Ion[1] seems to fit your usage
pattern better, might be worth a try.

[1] http://www.modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/