Re: [dev] [wmii] Odd key behaviour after changing focus in 3.9b1

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:02:23 -0500

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:06:19AM +0000, Martin Swift wrote:
>Dear Comrads,
>
>First off, many thanks for 3.9b1. Being the fairly content (read:
>lazy) type I'd never bothered updating from 3.6r2 which is still the
>most recent packaged version in Gentoo's Portage.

That's surprising. I've always expected Gentoo to be insanely
bleeding edge.

>When I switch focus to certain applications, the first two characters
>seem to be passed to the application with a modifier. After the colon
>I'll move to another application and then hit the "c" character three
>times:čc. The first keypress enters nothing, the second the č but
>after the third keypress all is fine.
>
>Just hitting MODKEY produces the same effect.
>
>This always affects terminals and GTK applications (I've tried surf,
>pidgin and the gimp). Qt applications sometimes work. Tagainijisho and
>Opera are fine, and Anki works except just after being moved to a
>different column or after pressing MODKEY).
>
>Is this a known issue? Any hints as to how to debug or fix?

It looks like your MODKEY coincides with your X11 compose key.
For instance, my X11 compose key is R_Alt, so if I type, Alt,c,c
(in wmii notation) I get č. If Alt were also my MODKEY (which
it's not), typing Alt-j and then cc would also give me č in the
new window. It's possible that some fairly recent change in
wmii key handling prevented the compose sequence from being
ignored, or that you either changed your compose key or an X11
upgrade did the same. Can you post the output of

     xmodmap -pk | grep Multi_key

and

     xmodmap

Also, what key do you use for your MODKEY?

--
Kris Maglione
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge