Re: [dev] a suckless computer algebra system

From: Christoph Dibak <chris_AT_freizeitblogger.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:46:40 +0100

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:20:53PM +1100, Alex Ghitza wrote:
> However, it is simply not true that it "requires you to use the web
> interface to do anything useful". I have been using Sage extensively
> for teaching and research for the past two years and I spend 95% of my
> time in the command-line interface. I only use the Sage notebook
> (i.e. the web interface) when I need to use graphics in a class, or
> during talks (most students, but also a lot of mathematicians seem to
> get a blank stare when they look at the command line).

Seems like I should have a look at sage. Im useing octave for simple
algebra computation and gnuplot for plotting. Gnuplot is realy nice and
octave has the benefit that you dont have to open a graphical interface
(like with matlab) to get e.g. the rank of a matrix.

But is there a sort of replacement for maple? Does any less-sucking or
open-source software support the maple-worksheet (.mw) format?