Re: [dev] a suckless computer algebra system

From: Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:19:02 +0100

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:39:04 +0000
Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us> wrote:

> Why not? I think it should be possible to have very minimalist and
> specialized CAS', they managed to do that in the 50s and 60s, why not
> today?

We are not living in the 50's nor 60's... If the suckless approach is to
not include a feature (read mathematical algorithem in this case)
because the source code gets bigger or more complex, then IMHO
suckless approach is not the correct approach for CAS.

CAS is used to solve a multitude of problems that
you cannot define into a narrow problem space.

Of course you can make x applications that each solve a spesific
mathematical problem, but what a mess it creates when you have to
combine applications. I have work with such systems and the time wasted
in transfering data from one to the other is a big problem. Not to say
the errors this can introduce...

--
Preben Randhol
«Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.»