Re: [dev] Full quotes below

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:29:57 +0100

[2009-12-16 10:22] Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
> markus schnalke dixit (2009-12-16, 09:38):
> >
> > The irony is, that reading this mailing list became a pain when I
> > started using a sane mail client, the one that conforms best to the
> > Unix Philosophy: nmh.
>
> Why is that?

Reading mails with nmh is catting the file that is the message. (Only
headers are reformated and MIME gets decoded.) Thus I often see the
screen full of full quote and I have to scroll up to read the one line
reply.

Of course, I could pipe to more or less, but that only makes it more
usable, while the problem still remains. It's simply stupid to receive
a hundret lines of reply when the actual reply consists of only a few
lines. I have to scroll around when, with good quoting style, the mail
would fit on one screen.

> I've been pondering switching over to nmh in the recent years, but there
> were some things holding me back. I'd be cool if you shared your
> experiences, too.

Encodings are handles pretty badly. Latin1 is okay, but UTF8 is hardly
supported. MIME is usable, though one needs to learn how, cause it's
different than in other mail clients.

You will certainly want to configure nmh extensively to make it fit
your needs. It's a bit like dwm where almost everyone has his patches.

In any case, you need some low-level understanding of email to
understand nmh.

meillo