Re: [dev] licenses (was: simple portscanner)

From: Martin Swift <martin_AT_swift.is>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:25:18 +0000

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 04:19:08PM +0100, hiro wrote:
> > as you can't really pass your copyright in germany you should definitely base
> > your publication on some means of 'contract'/license to protect the one using
> > your code from you going mad and coming after him with some creepy lawyer. this
> > said, you best use something that has already gained some attention in a german
> > court.
>
> And what protects him then from you going mad and coming after him
> with a basball bat?

The law.

It allows one to defend oneself without being prosecuted for doing so.

In the case of German law (and French as well, I believe), it seems
one cannot protect oneself once the author of a work that was released
into the public domain decides to change his mind and claim rights to
any and all software based on his code.

I'll agree that it's a valid reason to release work under a different
license, but on the other hand one might just as well take the
approach that German (and French?) voters chose this for themselves
and if they are interested in having secure access to works in the
public domain, they can very well fix their broken laws.

Cheers,
Martin