Re: [dev] GSoC 2010

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:57:31 +0000

On 4 March 2010 12:51, Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 01:44:04PM +0100, pancake wrote:
>
>> why do you need TTF? font rendering is a really complex stuff, in dwk
> yes
>> we were only planning to support monospaced fonts, calculate sizes
> yes
>> with changing size of fonts is really complex and cpu-intensive task and
> yes
>> i dont think it matters to the user.
> no, sorry
>
> In non-uriel style, yes, font rendering is horribly complicated and an
> entirely fucked up discipline, but I don't think a "real" widget set can
> skip out on it. Bitmap fonts are fine for programming (and I even use it
> for web browsing when it's dark and I switch the theme to
> white-on-black), but often sub-pixel tuned ttf is just more comfortable
> to read.
>
> Actually I wrote a similar widget set that I use in frtplot
> (frtplot.port70.net), straight C and everything, and.. it only does
> bitmap font rendering (no Unicode though). But I wouldn't want to use it
> for software that isn't exclusively for programmers..

Well one design decision for the API I'm in favor with is not to
provide any font-related functionality in the first version and leave
font rendering up to the implementation. If someone writes an app he
shouldn't bother about the fonts/colors etc, he should concentrate on
the functionality -- this also enforces a consistent look among all
programs that might use dwk.

Cheers,
Anselm