Re: [dev] [dmenu] A clickable dmenu is a dream?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:22:54 +0100

On 28 March 2010 20:14, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> On 28 March 2010 19:28, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
>> This might be getting off topic, but has the possibility of filename
>> completion in the argument field been considered or written
>
> The problem with this idea is that it adds rather a lot of complexity
> to a program intended to simply be a menu. dwm simply uses dmenu_run,
> a shell script wrapper for the more general dmenu. To add things like
> filename tab completion would undermine the simplicity and generality
> of the idea. It could be done in a separate patch, of course, but I'm
> not sure that's entirely a good idea.
>
> I was thinking of perhaps trying a dmenu-derivative which spawns a
> shell to interact with, becoming an extremely simple one-line 'dterm'.
> Could be interesting, anyway.

As said earlier, dmenu will be simplified until next release, The
cursor stuff etc does not belong to dmenu, same for mouse support. I
think stuff like that could be achieved with special purpose apps
instead, like pointed out in earlier discussions a while ago. The
success of suckless software is doing less and rather removing
features than adding new.

Cheers
Anselm