[dev] [OT] Preferred way of branching in hg

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:29:04 +0200

Hoi,

I have a project that is kept in a mercurial repo. Now I plan to
branch a development version off. This means, I (1) want to go on
fixing bugs in the stable version, and (2) want to start redesigning
parts of the code base in a development branch. I want to branch as
the development version might break or remove functionality which
should be kept alive in the stable version.

Steve Losh discussed the available approaches to branching on
http://stevelosh.com/blog/2009/08/a-guide-to-branching-in-mercurial

From my current point of view, branching by cloning apprears to be
preferrable.

What are your opinions?