Re: [dev] SWK: The simple widget kit

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:29:04 +0100

On 13 May 2010 10:04, Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/10, Rory Rory <tirard22_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Right now it's not obvious what the widgets actually are. The
>> textboxes look identical to the buttons and it's hard to know where to
>> type into.
>
> don't care about the visual representation
> that's the last thing you wish to design
>
> the question is if the programming model is simple and powerful enough
>
> * there is "box" and "event"
> * each box has an event handler and that's the only thing that
> determines the behaviour of the box (visual behaviour and internal
> state).
> * the event handler gets called with events that occured over the area
> of the box.
> * there is no parent/child of a box so you cannot pass events around
> (as in most toolkits), you have to handle or ignore them
> * the area of a box is determined by the toolkit, only the box layout
> should be described (boxes per rows), so not just fixed resolution
> pixel based representation is possible
>
> btw if there is strictly one window per application (the container of
> boxes) then the window can be a global variable, you don't have to
> pass it around in every swk function and struct.

I agree, SwkWindow could be removed from the signatures and be
declared as global.

Apart from that I agree with the question you raise and I don't have
the answer either yet. I agreed with pancake that we go with this
approach in the beginning to get a feeling if it's right. I think this
thread is supposed to gain further insight and opinions from others as
well.

The main question is if the box/event model is right.

Cheers,
Anselm