Re: [dev] my suckless.org compatible ideas: vim like mapping for any tools, C scripts, vi clone

From: mobi phil <mobi_AT_mobiphil.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:47:32 +0200

well,
> You're insane. Comments follow:
thanks for the welcome, I hope you did not mean it..

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM, mobi phil <mobi_AT_mobiphil.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. good tools should have a way to define easily keyboard shortcuts.
>
> Good tools should have good keyboard shortcuts, change them in the
> source if you have to.

I would change it if I would not have to change half of the source for
that... But disappointed that you do not agree...

>> 1.1. Preferably good tools should have at least one predefined set of
>> shortcuts that is compatible with vim

> Why not compatible with any other editor that anyone else use?
I said at "least one"... I invite other armies to declare their expectations...

>> 1.2. would make sense to define a "keyboard mapping library" that
>> would define a syntax and rules for writing shortcuts.

> No.
Well, that means you love to do exercise mouse keyboard mouse keyboard.

>> 1.3. vimperator is a firefox plug-in that is very close to this requirements

> A plugin for firefox can never be suckless.
Hm... well...

>> 3. I am looking for people who would be interested in writing a vim
>> clone. I already called it viq (vi quick)
>> Pankace told me that there would be already one experiment here on
>> suckless.org, but I did not find it. Viq should:
>> * Open huge files (4gb) on the fly (yes I need that often, and I can
>> tell you some hints, and you would start to use that as well... )
>
> If you need this, you are doing something wrong, and shouldn't bloat
> down irrelevant applications.
I am not doing anything wrong. You might be wrong by not asking
questions about details ... but replied about the topic in a prev
email.

>> * Should be able to open a full source tree in one "aggregated"
>> buffer. This would allow a linear browsing of the code.
>
> Why do you think that a tool made to edit text should also be hacked
> to browse source?
Because you can save time by waiting for each tool to load the same
stuff into memory etc. etc.

I think you would have difficulties to imagine the added value of
tiling window manager, before ever having have used it. The same with
this... Please do not be so rigid..

>> * Should be able to present different views of the sourcecode.
>> for example you are in a new project like the linux kernel, and you
>> would want to get familiarised. Simple tools like static callgraphs
>> would be very powerful helpers. Once all the files in memory and with
>> efficient algorithms such "views" could be generated under one second.

> In a text EDITOR?

>> * It would have a fast internal ctags like browser.
>> * It would be able to do jobs like source code parsing for tag in the
>> background in a sort of "fiber" model. User interaction would
>> interrupt the task if any is running in the background. No threads, as
>> threads make buffer modelling difficult.
>> * Should have a vim compatibility engine, that would allow reuse of
>> hundreds of scripts and syntax files.
>> * Would allow use of simple markups that would speed up writing
>> documentation etc.

> blah blah, obviously no idea about the do-one-thing-and-do-it-well
> expression. Sometimes I need to edit graphics for a piece of code so I
> think your editor should also implement a sprite-editor!

I think you should stick to your notepad on windows, even better, buy
ZX spectrum, and install your Spartan like tools on it. I think you
make me a clear image about suckles, and you have a well formed
welcoming style. I think you dropped too many decorations...

--
rgrds,
mobi phil