Re: [dev] my suckless.org compatible ideas: vim like mapping for any tools, C scripts, vi clone

From: anonymous <aim0shei_AT_lavabit.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:20:20 +0400

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:40:25PM +0000, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
> On 5/17/10, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Bjartur Thorlacius
> > <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I just felt that it was weird that the program that draws borders around
> >> my
> >> windows is also a keyboard shortcut handler/dispatcher/whatever.
> >
> > Now dwm draws statusbar for you (if you use dwm).  It also runs dmenu
> > and st/urxvt/xterm too.  Most of global user keybindings just run
> > commands so it is ok if these keybindings will be window manager
> > keybindings.
> I run WMII, but the situation is similiar there. But why is the statusbar
> the same program? So it doesn't get focused? That should be possible
> with some sort of window property, right?

Yes, it is possible. Maybe it is because dwm uses tags (something
like virtual desktops, but you can select more than one at one time)
and common statusbars (and WM standards) don't support them.

There is http://hg.suckless.org/2wm/ repository. It is dwm with no
tags and statusbar. There are some notes about "sbar" in changelog,
probably it is something like statusbar.

If the only problem is tags, maybe replace them with more common
"virtual desktops"? If you look at screenshots
[http://dwm.suckless.org/screenshots/], there is only one tag selected
on each desktop - tags are used as virtual desktops.