Re: [dev] dmenu_path rewrite in C

From: Premysl Hruby <dfenze_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:10:16 +0200

On (19/05/10 12:11), Mate Nagy wrote:
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:11:38 +0200
> From: Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net>
> To: dev mail list <dev_AT_suckless.org>
> Subject: Re: [dev] dmenu_path rewrite in C
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:09:33PM +0200, Premysl Hruby wrote:
> > > Conclusion: 0.7 seconds is somewhat noticeable lag. It's another
> > > question whether it's worth the effort to write the C program, but
> > > hey, it's been done already.
> >
> > Well, I (and others possibly) have no concern about cache miss, my files
> > in $PATH doesn't changes every five minutes :-)
> I have cache misses rather often, and the delay *is* annoying. I'd be a
> happy user of the C rewrite.

If you do upgrade your system such often, wouldn't be better to hook-up
cache regeneration to your package system? :-)

Also, as work-around, it is possible in cache-miss to use older cache,
and regenerate new in a background job (which is still as fast as no
cache miss occured, but there's problem with running new thingie just
right after it's installation)

-Ph

--
Premysl "Anydot" Hruby, http://www.redrum.cz/