Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: Steven Blatchford <dollarsignfoo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:53:04 -0400

On 13:56 Tue 01 Jun, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 01:27:07PM +0200, Mate Nagy wrote:
>> > Using the vim splits may be cheating, but it sure is convenient.
>> sorry for self-reply: I thought that maybe for maximum punishment, the
>> fibonacci layout could support nmaster. (Also note that this is a
>> 2560x1600 setup, that's why so much division (and nmaster) makes sense.)
>
>Ah, guess it's just my 1280x1024 screen then :)
>Actually tiling doesn't even make much sense on it, when I went with monocle on
>the netbook I grew used to it and use it everywhere now.
>Anyone else interested in sharing their way how they use their System? It seems
>like an interesting topic.

I use a laptop (1200x800) at home and my work computer (1920x1200). I
use dwm-5.2 with the gridmode patch. The gridmode patch allows me to
use equal sized windows.

I use five tags. On my work computer:
    main - two terms named term1
    term - two terms named term2
    www - two browsers
    ooo - one term named term4 and gnumeric
    mail - two terms named mail (mutt and weechat)

On my laptop:
    main - one term named term1
    term - one term named term2
    www - one browser
    ooo - nothing. I only use gnumeric for work
    mail - one term

On my work computer I use tag main and pull in what is needed. I found
pressing mod4+1, mod4+ctrl+2 to be annoying. I first used xmodmap to
switch mod4 and mod1. This allows me to press the keys on either side
of the spacebar with my thumb. Second, I used yiyus suggestion from
awhile back[1] on how to pull in two tags with one key (ie mod4+q could
switch to tag1 and tag2). Here is his code from my config.h:

    #define WORKSPACE(KEY,TAG) \
    { MODKEY, KEY, view, {.ui = TAG} },
    .
    .
    .
    WORKSPACE( XK_q, 1 << 0 | 1 << 1)
    WORKSPACE( XK_w, 1 << 0 | 1 << 2)
    WORKSPACE( XK_e, 1 << 1 | 1 << 2)

I use q,w,e,r,t to combine main+term, main+www, term+www, ooo+www and
main+mail.

On my laptop I have the option of using mod4+q,w,e,r,t or
mod4+,1,2,3,4,5.

-steve

[1] http://lists.suckless.org/dwm/0808/6573.html