Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:01:53 +0100

While we're on macros, I use the following macro for each tag,
so I can spawn an xterm wherever I want, in what mode I want,
just by setting its class, e.g.
$ xterm -class XTerm4f
spawns a floating xterm on tag 4 (1-based indexing)

#define TAG(i) (1 << (i-1))
#define XTERM(n) \
    { "XTerm"#n , NULL, NULL, TAG(n), False, -1 }, \
    { "XTerm"#n"f" , NULL, NULL, TAG(n), True, -1 }

/* meanwhile, in tag rules... */
  XTERM(1),
  XTERM(2),

It's been really useful for things like surf, where I can easily spawn
all the download-handling xterms on an unused tag and deal with
them later without having to recompile dwm with a new tag entry.

Course I have to bodge my .Xdefaults a bit to keep them obeying
whatever rules I want. I don't know whether it's valid or not,
but just having all lowercase "xterm" works:
xterm*background: black

s/xterm/urxvt too

Cheers, Rob