Re: [dev] Is Mercurial (hg) suckless?

From: Uriel <uriel_AT_berlinblue.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:29:14 +0200

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to mention svn, which is much worse than CVS in any respect. I
> experienced the joy a while ago to compile a more recent svn from
> scratch with all dependencies. It was no fun and contained many
> surprises as its dependencies popped up.

Amen, instead of wasting time arguing over hg vs. git, people should
instead push to kill the abomination that is SVN.

SVN has got to be one of the worst open source software projects in
existence and should have died many years ago.

More content for http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/ is very welcome.

> My verdict is: the svn developers seem to have created a big monster
> in order to keep their Google employment, I'd rather drive a review
> rather soon of those guys if I was in charge at Google. ;)

Tom Lord did a fairly good job diagnosing some of the psychological
aspects that drove the svn insanity:

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/diagnosing

uriel