Re: [dev] stderr: unnecessary?

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:13:32 +0100

On 12 Jun 2010, at 12:07, Kris Maglione wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:04:17PM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>> On 12 Jun 2010, at 11:53, pancake wrote:
>>>
>>> That's why mmap is for. Using read is just stupid.
>>
>> I've been told mmap hugely complicates virtual memory systems.
>> Anyone want to confirm or deny this?
>
> Yes, it does. Hugely. But, on the other hand, it's the entire basis
> of modern malloc implementatons and dynamic linking and loading.

I can see dynamic linking needing to load from file on fault, but
malloc puzzles me. I wonder if it is the way it is just because that's
a good way to make it fit with the page-fault-loading of dynamic
linking and mmap.

--
Do not specify what the computer should do for you, ask what the
computer can do for you.