Re: [dev] Interesting post about X11

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 06:58:58 -0400

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you host the applications locally,
> and use something like web sockets and Node.js to communicate with the
> lower level stuff,

This is some of the most horrifying shit ever spewed into this mailing list.

> 1. uses web technologies,

How the hell is this an advantage?

> 2. performs good,

Maybe on your 4-core processor. There's no way this will ever be
competitive with a real program.

> 3. is open.

Great. Open-source dogshit. Observe as I scramble toward
sourceforge, blinded by my desire for this download.

> I’m not sure if this is a good idea.

I'm absolutely positive it isn't.

> I do think it’s the most
> streamlined way to do it, since you’re most likely using the web
> browser anyway.

I use a car a lot, too, can we just require me to start that engine to
do an 'ls'? Maybe have the speedometer point to different numbers --
then I can point my webcam at it and run a program to convert them
into ascii and transmit them via RDS to my car stereo so I can read
them. I mean, it's the most streamlined way to do it, even if it's
circuitous, wasteful, and idiotic. I'm most likely using my car
anyway.

> There was some talk about the idea of implementing a
> suckless web browser engine in the other thread that’s 100 % standards
> compliant.

Web standards aren't "100% standards-compliant." Every last one of
them is self-contradictory.

> That could make a web-based terminal application almost as
> snappy as xterm if done right.

You have no grounds for this conclusion *whatsoever*.

> I’d love to see, or to be a part of that.

Feel free to watch, but if someone starts to produce code, do the
world a favor and keep your opinions from contaminating it

--
# Kurt H Maier