Re: [dev] [ot] radare dumps core on macbook

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:46:07 +0100

On 17 Jun 2010, at 20:36, Kris Maglione wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:17:10PM +0200, pancake wrote:
>> This bug is related to only the debian package because of the build
>> flags they use. Compiling without -O2 it works fine. The pb is that
>> debian/ubuntu/.. ppl didnt got the updated package and they all use
>> a broken binary.
>
> The debian packagers have an annoying tendency to build everything
> with -O2, even wmii. I usually use -O0 even for releases since, it
> being IO bound, there's no point in optimization. Even if there
> were, -O1 or -Os would be more than sufficient.

Reminds me how much faster my old Sempron box got when I rebuilt
everything with -Os instead of -O3. Strangled cache, I guess.

> Other packagers are worse, though. Some of them go out of their way
> to a) build a shared lib version of libixp, and b) make wmii link
> dynamically against it.

Ouch... yeah, I've seen something like this done on other packages.
Can't remember the distro.

--
Complexity is not a function of the number of features. Some features
exist only because complexity was _removed_ from the underlying system.