Re: [dev] Surf 0.4 issues

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:48:32 -0400

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2010, at 14:13, Donald Allen wrote:
>
> 2. When I change config.def.h and redo the make, config.h does *not* get
> replaced with the new config.def.h. I think the config.h target in the
> makefile is missing a dependency on config.def.h.
>

> Looks like it's the same as dwm, which I made this mistake on first time
> around. config.def.h is the default configuration. It's not named config.h
> because you don't want your config overwritten every time you untar an
> updated version. The makefile doesn't copy it if config.h exists because you
> don't want your config overwritten every time you compile. :)

Well, except if you untar an updated version, the base config file
(config.def.h) might have changed, and so some merging might be needed to
bring your config.h into conformance with the new version of surf/dwm/etc.

This whole issue strikes me as exactly what version management software is
about, and therefore would be better handled with cvs or one of its
successors (svn, hg, git). In other words, I'd prefer to get my new versions
of surf/dwm/etc from the suckless repository with version-management
software, which would assist me in managing my local changes to config.h.

/Don