Re: [dev] Tabbed + Surf, possible bug on closing tab

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:47:23 +0200

Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I use Tabbed (0.3) with Surf (0.4.1) and there is one issue I would like to
> discuss.
>
> Situation:
>
> Tabbed is running with few Surf instances within. I intend to close ONE Surf
> instance. I use ^q or middle click (emulated using left+right) on tab name.
>
> Results:
>
> I expect that the selected one window (tab) will be closed. In most cases it
> is exactly so, but sometimes it happens, that many more tabs disapear. Since
> there is no way to bring back tabs in Tabbed, this bug is very
> anonying.

This is because the same Surf process is responsible for multiple
Windows. The display part of Surf is programmed in a very brittle way,
and often dies due to X11 BadWindow errors (which can be fixed by
installing an error handler that ignores those) and mysterious segfaults
within the Flash plugin and some asynchronous-loading part of Webkit
(which I'm not sure how to fix). A basic problem is that Surf windows
are destroyed without first unregistering signal handlers, so you easily
end up with handlers trying to use a halfway-destroyed window object
(this happens very often if you close a window that is still loading,
due to the way the progress bar works).

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen