Re: [dev] [dwm] adding WM_WINDOW_ROLE rule

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:48:02 +0100

On 26 July 2010 22:32, David DEMELIER <demelier.david_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello dear dwm users,

hi

> There is something that make me sad with dwm, there is a lack of role
> rules for clients. I explain : clients have instance and name using
> WM_CLASS, but there is also WM_WINDOW_ROLE which is really important
> and useful.

dwm uses XGetClassHint() to retrieve the class and instance, and you
can't get WM_WINDOW_ROLE like this, so it's not as trivial to add on.

I've attached a patch (with some dodgy casting) that works for me, but
it's pretty useless. To have rules work with lots of arbitary WM_*
rules would mean extending the code a lot for little gain - Iron
(chromium clone) doesn't set WM_WINDOW_ROLE, for example, and nor does
surf, nor vimprobable.

tl;dr:
> However I doubt that many client make
> actually use of WM_WINDOW_ROLE in a consistent way, which is why I
> believe there is no great benefit in doing so -- or in other words,
> yet another proof how hideous X has become ;)

Rob