Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:36:56 -0400

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:09:08AM +0200, Jens Staal wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>While waiting for Sta.li to be finnished, I started playing around with a
>custom ubuntu build that uses plan9port as default user interface on as many
>levels possible (inspired by some e-mails from Anselm that were lying around
>on the web). I am basically a total layman on this and I have sort of leant
>as I went along when I built this... so there are probably a few completely
>useless configuration setting changes made.

I'm more than a little surprised that you'd start with such an
overgrown, hulking Goliath of a system such as Ubuntu. I think
it says enough that it has aptitude, apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg,
dpkg-*, dselect, debhelper, and devscripts, just to make a
start. Then you have such abominations as Sys-V init to contend
with, and the maze of tangled configuration schemes. I would
have started with a simpler system like Arch or GoboLinux, or
even a BSD. Or if I were feeling a bit sadistic, Gentoo,
Source Mage, or Slackware. Debian, though... I'm not that
sadistic.

--
Kris Maglione
Fashion is something barbarous, for it produces innovation without