Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:55:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:09:08AM +0200, Jens Staal wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> While waiting for Sta.li to be finnished, I started playing around with a
>> custom ubuntu build that uses plan9port as default user interface on as
>> many
>> levels possible (inspired by some e-mails from Anselm that were lying
>> around
>> on the web). I am basically a total layman on this and I have sort of
>> leant
>> as I went along when I built this... so there are probably a few
>> completely
>> useless configuration setting changes made.
>
> I'm more than a little surprised that you'd start with such an overgrown,
> hulking Goliath of a system such as Ubuntu. I think it says enough that it
> has aptitude, apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg, dpkg-*, dselect, debhelper, and
> devscripts, just to make a start. Then you have such abominations as Sys-V
> init to contend with, and the maze of tangled configuration schemes. I would
> have started with a simpler system like Arch or GoboLinux, or even a BSD. Or
> if I were feeling a bit sadistic, Gentoo, Source Mage, or Slackware. Debian,
> though... I'm not that sadistic.

I generally agree with the advice you've given above, but disagree
with your inclusion of Slackware in the "sadistic" category. Slackware
is very easy to install and configuration is simple and logical (and
BSD-style init). It's well documented, as well. Think of it as the
OpenBSD of Linuxes (Theo de Raadt would not be pleased with me for
this turn of phrase), in the sense that there's little, if any, excess
mechanism, and what's there is very well thought out.

/Don Allen