Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:04:45 -0400

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 05:58:55PM +0200, Troels Henriksen wrote:
>Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm more than a little surprised that you'd start with such an
>> overgrown, hulking Goliath of a system such as Ubuntu. I think it says
>> enough that it has aptitude, apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg, dpkg-*,
>> dselect, debhelper, and devscripts, just to make a start. Then you
>> have such abominations as Sys-V init to contend with, and the maze of
>> tangled configuration schemes. I would have started with a simpler
>> system like Arch or GoboLinux, or even a BSD. Or if I were feeling a
>> bit sadistic, Gentoo, Source Mage, or Slackware. Debian, though... I'm
>> not that sadistic.
>
>Why not Linux from Scratch? Or even Glendix...

LFS is not a Linux distribution, it's an epithet.

>(Slackware is probably the best realistic bet, due to the simplicity.)

No. Slackware may be relatively simple, but it's no simpler than
Arch or GoboLinux, and it has, by far, a weaker packaging system
which leads to nothing but headaches.

--
Kris Maglione
The tragedy of modern war is not so much that young men die but that