Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:54:10 -0400

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 03:35:46AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>On the subject of distros I would like to promote Source Mage as a class
>above Gentoo and Arch, although it's really not the right distro for this
>topic. I think of it as a class above the purely rolling update distros
>because the Source Mage folk found a way to produce a fairly reliable
>stable version with frequent releases despite having a small team. It's
>certainly not in the same class as Slackware for reliability, but fixing
>packages in Source Mage is probably easier than in most distros.

The only reason I won't use Source Mage is that it doesn't do
binary packages. I used BSD for a lot of years, and tended to
build from source for a lot of those years, even on slow
machines. But I eventually started using pkg_add -R, and now I'm
just not willing to build my entire system from source anymore.
It's certainly nice to have a package system that makes building
from source easy (I still do it often enough), but it's frankly
insane for it to be the only option.

--
Kris Maglione
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human