Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:16:12 +0100

On 31 Jul 2010, at 3:54, Kris Maglione wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 03:35:46AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>> On the subject of distros I would like to promote Source Mage as a
>> class above Gentoo and Arch, although it's really not the right
>> distro for this topic. I think of it as a class above the purely
>> rolling update distros because the Source Mage folk found a way to
>> produce a fairly reliable stable version with frequent releases
>> despite having a small team. It's certainly not in the same class
>> as Slackware for reliability, but fixing packages in Source Mage is
>> probably easier than in most distros.
>
> The only reason I won't use Source Mage is that it doesn't do binary
> packages. I used BSD for a lot of years, and tended to build from
> source for a lot of those years, even on slow machines. But I
> eventually started using pkg_add -R, and now I'm just not willing to
> build my entire system from source anymore. It's certainly nice to
> have a package system that makes building from source easy (I still
> do it often enough), but it's frankly insane for it to be the only
> option.

Aye, they have finally started on a binary 'grimoire', after years of
"it would be nice." :) I don't know how much is in it, certainly
firefox, almost certainly gcc since people need a binary gcc to fix
their system more often than any other package. Last I checked I
thought the binary grimoire was growing rapidly but I don't remember
how big it was.