Re: [dev] [dwm] number of tag limited?

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:40:09 -0400

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:27 AM, thuban <thuban_AT_singularity.fr> wrote:

>> I just changed the colour scheme in drawbar() so that unoccupied tags
>> are invisible (by making the text colour the same as the background).
>> This was enough for me, as I was mostly concerned with the visual
>> noise of all the unoccupied tags.
>>
>> The unoccupied tags aren't completely useless to me.  I prefer to move
>> to an unoccupied tag and then open a new application (as opposed to
>> opening the new application and then sending it away), so I need to be
>> able to view unoccupied tags.
>>

> But what do you think to create the tag justs when you move in? I'm
> just thinking to the same comportement of wmii. Especially, I would
> like to be able to rename tags,

You can, but only at compile time. Just change the 'tags' vector in
config.h, re-build and re-install.

 and create them as I want (and
> automatically remove them when they are no more used ).

Again, i3 does exactly this. If you care a lot about this behavior, I
suggest you have a look at it. It's quite good, but so is dwm. They
each have somewhat different strengths and which you use is a matter
of what is important to you. I am continuing to use dwm because I
don't much care about seeing only occupied tags and there are some
things that I *do* care about that dwm does a bit better.