Re: [dev] [patch] xmms like pattern matching for dmenu (update to hg tip)

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:26:35 +0100

Hey,

Thanks for the patch, Stephen. One small bug, however: the added flag
should be above the first usage(), since it is a single flag (it takes
no value). If you try to run "dmenu_run -xs" it will fail because it
expects another argument.

On 8 August 2010 15:15, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> wrote:
> this pattern matching style is pretty cool.  Is there no interest in
> merging this in the mainline?

I've had a few feature requests already, but am hesitant to merge any
such patch into mainline, since doing so tends to lead to buggy
feature-soup. (Merging the cursor, paste, and vlist patches in r285
took quite some time to debug.) I may consider it, but for the most
part I'd like to keep the mainline feature set down to a minimal
stable distribution.

My thinking is, dmenu should be a small and reliable tool designed for
the common case (in particular, dmenu_run), and if users require
anything more exotic they can simply apply one of the various patches
available. That's the great thing about open source: we don't need to
add a feature in order for you to use it.

Back to the patch at hand, I wrote a similar one a while ago, which
I've attached. I don't think its behaviour is identical, but it's a
little shorter and can handle unlimited tokens.

Thanks,
cls