Re: [dev] [patch] add Control-G and Control-D to dmenu

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:07:11 +0100

Hey,

On 8 August 2010 09:22, Uriel <uriel_AT_berlinblue.org> wrote:
> Both are emacsisms as far as I can tell, and of little use (specialy
> given ^C already aborts).

^D isn't an emacsism insofar as using it in bash when not at the end
of the line works the same way. That said, I'm aware bash is a
monster. However:

On 8 August 2010 11:54, Uriel <uriel_AT_berlinblue.org> wrote:
> Indeed, ^D meaning anything other than EOF is an abomination.

I'm not prepared to limit myself to relics for the sake of it. dmenu
has no files of which to reach the end, so EOF is simply meaningless.
If we restricted ^D to solely EOF then it would be a dead key. On the
other hand, dmenu has a cursor, which 1970 teletypes did not have, and
so requires keybinds for its control. If Bell Labs UNIX had had a
terminal cursor I'm sure they would have provided the keybinds
necessary to use it. I don't believe pragmatism is abominable.

Thanks,
cls