Re: [dev] [patch] add Control-G and Control-D to dmenu

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:39:59 +0100

On 9 August 2010 23:38, TJ Robotham <tj.robotham_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, it is an emacsism insomuch as bash's manpage specifically describes
> the default line editing commands as emacs-style, in contrast to a vi-style that
> can be enabled in its place.

Sorry, I suppose I expected better than that even from bash. My mistake.

On 10 August 2010 05:25, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you
> intend to exclude ‘Emacsisms’, I assume you must have some other standard of
> what constitutes one than ‘bash doesn't do it’.

It's not that I am intending to exclude emacsisms, it's that I'm
intending to not waste keys. ^G has the same functionality as ^C, and
the latter is "UNIX" so it has priority. On the other hand, the only
way we could keybind ^D to EOF is if we were to have it do the same as
^C, which would be wasting a key - might as well have ^C, ^D, and ^G
all do the same thing. On the other hand, ^D could delete, in which
case we've keybound another function, which is far more useful than
just letting you do the same thing in two different ways. I removed ^M
in favour of ^J for the same reason. It's quite simple really.

To be honest I'm surprised there's such a reaction to something so
trivial as an added keybind. I'm glad this doesn't happen often or
we'd never get anything done.

cls