Re: [dev] Suckless design in Games

From: Eivind Michael Skretting <eivind_AT_linux.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:20:33 +0200

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:29:18PM +0700, Anh Hai Trinh wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Eivind Michael Skretting
> <eivind_AT_linux.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 09:35:48PM +0700, Anh Hai Trinh wrote:
> >> I think the essence of minimalism is that one take away as much as one
> >> possibly can.
> >>

> > Then one should exclude Chopin from that definition.
>
> What do you mean exactly? His A major Prelude is probably the shortest
> piece of music that exists (20~ seconds) and amongst the most
> beautiful. If that is not minimalistic, I don't know what is. Chopin
> is, after all, most famous for his _miniature_ pieces.

Well, first of all, as have been mentioned, it's not about lenght.
And Chopin's harmonies is in no way minimalistic (meaning "simple"), and
all the trills and (argh, don't remember the english word...
lots-of-tones) is more the work of a piano virtuoso than a
"minimalistic" composer. He did, after all, write things down like he
played it, which resultet in different editions to different
publishers, in the same period of time!

Well, isn't this a fun discussion to have in a programmer's mailing list :)

Eivind