[dev] three column layout / getting started writing patches

From: Jaime Villarreal <jesusjaime_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:59:06 -0500

Hi there.
I have a special project for which I'd like to patch dwm to function with a
3 column layout.
I'd like to have one wide column in the center (ideally this would be the
master column), and two skinnier columns to the right and left. The first
three clients to open should occupy these three columns and any additional
clients could stack to the right or left or even in the center column,
doesn't really matter as I will never really open any more than three
clients for this application.

I've been using dwm for over a year now and I'm very happy with it. While
I've had a lot of fun writing bash scripts to update the status bar up until
now I've yet to writing my own patch. I've skimmed over the code and it was
not immediately obvious to me what was going on. I was hoping that someone
on the list would be willing to point me towards some more documentation,
code snippets, commented code or examples.

Thanks in advance!