Re: [dev] Suckless Way to Learn How To Program

From: Josh Rickmar <joshua_rickmar_AT_eumx.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:03:47 -0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 06:20:17PM -0400, Brandon LaRocque wrote:
> This is a pretty easy question to ask, though I'm not sure how hard it
> would be to answer. My question to those at Suckless is this:
>
> My son is interested in computer programming, and given the way that
> programming is being taught, I don't think it's the right way to go
> about learning.What would you guys here suggest for a self-learning
> curriculum that I could set up for him? By this, I mean languages,
> ideas, projects. I would really appreciate any help in the matter.
> It'd be interesting to know what you guys consider a 'suckless
> programming 101' course would consist of, for self-learners.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Brandon LaRocque

Perhaps the best way to learn how to program suckless is to write
your code and then be yelled at when it's not suckless. I first
thought of this as a sort of joke, but after more consideration it
may actually be a good way to teach it. Suckless programers need
to be able to take criticism (even if it doesn't always seem
constructive), and then be able to build upon suggestions (if any)
to improve their code. A new programmer's first reaction will
probably be the same as most of the other crap programmers out there
(more code = more 1337ness), so some guidance from one who has "seen
the light" would certainly be beneficial.

If they can't be told by others that their code sucks, I'm not sure
that they'll ever program suckless.

Josh Rickmar