Re: [dev] flo - a command line program for organizing events, to-dos, and deadlines

From: Robert Ransom <rransom.8774_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:35:18 -0700

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:04:18 +0200
Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> > The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.
>
> I was thinking about that exact sentence while writing the sentence
> that you quoted. We need more quotes about standards to choose from…
> and fewer standards.

ISO 8601 is the last standard we'll ever need for textual formats for
dates and times. They thought of *every* big-endian format you could
ever possibly want to use, and then they kept right on thinking!

My favorite human-readable ISO-8601-derived format is
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.fffff-tz:tz:tz.fffff (I don't think they actually
allowed seconds or fractional seconds in timezones, but some old
European timezone needs them (possibly in Finland?)).

Robert Ransom