Re: [dev] [9base] /bin/rc

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:52:55 -0400

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:31:21PM +0400, anonymous wrote:
>On page http://suckless.org/people/Kris there are scripts that starts
>with /bin/rc she-bang. Someone have also sent some script with
>#!/bin/rc in it to this list.
>
>So I want to ask what is the best way to put rc into /bin under Linux.
>Is there any options in plan9port or 9base that allow to install
>non-conflicting utilities in /bin? Of course, I can just move 'rc'
>into 'bin' using mv in my build script but maybe someone know any
>better way?
>
>Hope to get Kris reply, looks like he already use /bin/rc without
>problems. Also strange that he uses #!/usr/bin/env rc in 'vp'.

I just keep a statically linked copy there on all of my
machines. There's nothing special about it. I used /usr/bin/env
in vp because I expect that most other people don't have a copy
there. I don't like to use /usr/bin/env because it might hit on
Byron's incompatible rc, but it's the best shot at having
scripts work everywhere.

I should probably update or remove most of the scripts on that
page... I didn't even realize that it was ever migrated from the
old diri setup.

--
Kris Maglione
I did say something along the lines of "C makes it easy to shoot