Re: [dev] [9base] /bin/rc

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:04:13 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:51:07AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> I never thought of keeping a copy of rc in /bin. What I came up with was
> an rc+ed script to modify that first line.[1] It itself launches with
> /usr/bin/env, but it modifies every rc and awk script it finds except
> itself so that the #! lines reference the rc and awk which were in the
> path at the time it was run. That sounds complicated...
>
> Basically, run it in a dir with rc and/or awk scripts and the rc and awk
> you want to use in dirs at the head of path. It will fix the #! lines. It
> searches recursively too. I've used it to fix plan9port itself after a
> move, which p9p's own INSTALL won't do.

My main motive was that I wanted most of my scripts to run on
Plan 9 as well as my BSD/Linux systems without any hassle. At
any rate, I'd rather have a shebang line that works everywhere
than a script that modifies them all, especially since my
scripts tend to either live on a network filesystem or move
around a lot via rsync or hg.

--
Kris Maglione
UNIX is simple.  It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity.