Re: [dev] nscript - a little stack-based scripting language interpretter I wrote

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:19:44 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:54:37PM +0200, pancake wrote:
>I encourage you to make the nstest program smarter by removing help
>messages, prompts and others and just keep the read-eval-print loop.

I'd rather the script go in nstest.ns and either be sourced at
runtime or processed by the makefile into a header. Stuffing
scripts into quoted C strings is always ugly and makes them hard
to read and edit.

>* I would probably prefer '"' quote char for strings.

I think this is irrelevant. It's down to the preference of the
language designer. Most scripting languages support single
quoted strings, some (python) favor them, and some (rc)
implement them exclusively. My personal preference is for
single-quoted strings to ignore escape sequences, and to escape
single quotes by doubling them, and for double-quoted strings to
process escapes and possibly do simple interpolation.

>* I will probably swap the order of the conditional clauses: (what do
>you think about it)
> 3 3 == { 'Is equal duppy\n' print } if
> -->
> { 'Is equal duppy\n' print } 3 3 == if

I agree. It's cleaner, and it's closer to forth, which is always
good.

--
Kris Maglione
The X server has to be the biggest program I've ever seen that doesn't