Re: [dev] libdraw development

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:08:20 +0100

On Friday, September 3, 2010, Anders Andersson <pipatron_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Since this library doesn't seem to have much to do with drawing
> anyway, I fail to see why it should pollute the already taken and very
> generic 'libdraw'.
>
> As far as I have seen from sporadically following this thread is that
> this is a library that tries to solve a personal issue for the author
> (writing text on a PDA/phone?). Since it can't draw stuff but insist
> on handling clipboards, maybe the name should reflect that.

There seems to be some confusion. libdraw is a library which simply
implements the functions which until now were present, in some form or
another, in dwm, dmenu, and tabbed -- namely, drawtext, initfont,
textw, etc -- as well as handling struct DC. Having the same load of
code in many projects was extremely unwieldly, and bugs had to be
fixed in triplicate... Hence libdraw.

As of yet libdraw has everything to do with drawing and precious
little to do with anything else. It is used by dmenu tip (soon to be
4.2), and will be used by dwm 5.9. So now you know what it *is*.

We did talk on IRC about whether the name would conflict, but decided
we liked it. P9P remains its own subsystem, and we needn't worry about
conflicts so long as it remains outside $PLAN9. One tends to use 9c
anyway, emphasising the distinction. Since there exists a dwm-win32
port perhaps we should discuss renaming dwm to solve the conflict with
Windows' own.

Anyway, don't let me interrupt you guys' uninformed ranting about a
library you hadn't heard of and evidently haven't even looked at.
Things are better seen in black and white, as Uriel will no doubt
agree.

cls