Re: [dev] anyone played with mkinit?

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:10:54 +0000

On 11/11/10, Uriel <uriel_AT_berlinblue.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is an rc version in the svn repository though.
>
> Out of principle I refuse to touch anything stored in a svn repository.
>
> And really, the whole problem space is wrong, if you need an 'init
> system' your system is already FUBAR.

What do you mean? One needs a program with PID 1. That could be a
script, but if you need to edit that script you risk corrupting the
system initialization. In special if you allow a package manager to
add an entry. Thus you'll want to compile it from multiple simpler
scripts. Such compilation will have to take dependencies into account
(either the admin or computer). Scripts that may run in parallel may
be seperate and execute in their own process, but for scripts that
need to execute one after another, spawning a whole new process seems
wasteful.

> If your init system requires dependency tracking then you are way beyond
> FUBAR.
Arguably, but declaring dependencies is simpler than keeping up- and
downbringing scripts in sync. I'll admit that I'm gradually removing
dependency management from my boot process, so I'd better not argue
for it.

--
kv,
  - Bjartur