Re: [dev] [bug] wmii segfaults on sudo wireshark

From: dtk <d.t.k_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:44:45 +0100

On 01/23/2011 10:21 PM, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 05:26:30PM +0100, dtk wrote:

>>> No. Can you perchance provide a backtrace?
>>
>> Actually, I don't know how to (besides compiling from source), since the
>> binary from the ubuntu package doesn't contain debug symbols :/
>
> Yes, compiling from source is the thing to do. I believe you can do
> something like:
>
> DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="nostrip" make deb

k, will try, but I don't know yet when I'll find the time to do so.

As a side note: I just tried wmii at work and realized that the problem
only exists when I use the ruby configuration (with ruby 1.9.1?).

Here's my current setup:
{{{
dtk_AT_minibox:~$ cat .wmii/wmiirc_local
wmiir xwrite /ctl spawn ruby/wmiirc
dtk_AT_minibox:~$ diff /etc/X11/wmii/ruby/ .wmii/ruby
diff /etc/X11/wmii/ruby/wmiirc .wmii/ruby/wmiirc
1c1
< #!/usr/bin/env ruby

---
> #!/usr/bin/ruby1.9.1
Only in .wmii/ruby: wmiirc.log
dtk_AT_minibox:~$
}}}
And yepp: That dies badly when executing wireshark as root. Can anybody
reproduce that?
Might it be a problem with ruby 1.9.1? Do I need 1.9(.1) for the ruby
config (think I read so somewhere)?
thx for ur patience
dtk
PS Is that the recommended way of using the ruby config? Sry, didn't get
the explanation in /usr/share/doc/wmii/alternative-wmiircs/ruby/README:
{{{
In particular, not that there is no need to copy any files to
~/.wmii-hg or ~/.wmii other than config.yaml. The script will
happily load the requisite files from their default install
location. They can be loaded either by involing wmii as
follows:
    wmiir -r ruby/wmiirc
}}}
thx, dtk