Re: [dev] Config files

From: Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:34:40 +0000

In relation to enviornment variables for configuration. I've often
considered the possibility of using the 'envdir' tool from DJB's
daemontools package for simple configuration in things like dwm.

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/envdir.html

It's a simple tool that sets environment variables based on the
contents of a specified directory, and then runs the specified process
with that environment. It's usefullness would be limited to simple
key-value config options like colour and font, however it would mean
that any software (such as dmenu for example) that was patched to use
the same variables would automatically inherit the configuration when
launched from dwm.

I doubt such a system would be to everybody's taste, but I think it
could be a fairly elegant solution for certain setups.